Duty of Care
UK businesses produce over 75million tonnes per annum of commercial and industrial
waste, and as a waste producer you have certain obligations under the Environmental
Protection Act 1990 to ensure it is properly controlled and managed.
The Duty of Care Regulations 1991 place a duty upon producers, importers, carriers
and disposers of controlled waste to:
- prevent unauthorised disposal of waste
- prevent the escape of waste
- provide a written waste transfer note
- provide an accurate written description including the six digit European Waste Catalogue
Authorised persons for the purposes of the Duty of Care are:
- registered waste carriers or those entitled to exemption under Registration of Carriers
and Seizure of Vehicle Regulations 1991
- holders of a permit, waste management licence or waste management licence exemption
- the waste producer (when transferring their own waste – except construction
or demolition waste).
A waste transfer note must be passed between each holder of the waste; this may
also include the written waste description, and can be valid for up to one year
for regular waste transfers. The transfer note must be kept for a minimum of two
years after the transfer and contain the following information:
- the identity of the waste and the EWC code
- the quantity of waste and how the waste is contained
- names, addresses and signatures of the transferor and transferee
- place and date of transfer.
The written description of the waste should be sufficient for the next holder to
deal with the waste without breaching the provisions of the Environmental Protection
Act 1990, namely Section 33 – that deals with unlawful deposit of waste.
The penalties for failing to comply with these legal requirements are severe so
it is essential to use a waste management company you can trust.
Ash Waste Services can help you ensure that you are fully compliant with the law.
A contract with Ash Waste Services means that you can be completely confident that
your Duty of Care obligations are being fully met. We are committed to helping you
make sure that you are equipped to meet legislative requirements and prepared for
increasing environmental challenges.
No contract will have been formed between us until we have confirmed a
commencement date to you.
National Waste Solutions
Wrexham Industrial Estate